for keeping Boundaries
1. Do not seek out a personal relationship with your clients, or with their family, friends, or support network. Have a balanced work and home life so your personal needs are met outside of work.
2. Do not have a sexual relationship with clients, their family, friends or people in their support network.
3. Do not introduce clients to your own family, friends, or support network e.g. don’t invite people home for family gatherings etc. Work and home should be kept separate.
4. Do not socialize with clients or their family, friends outside of work hours. Your work finishes at the end of your shift.
5. Do not supply or use alcohol, drugs or other illegal substances during work.
6. Turn up on time for your shift. Don’t arrive late and leave early. People notice, including your clients. Organize your commitments and travel so that you have plenty of time.
7. Do not smoke in front of clients, and do not lend or buy cigarettes for your clients. Encourage healthy lifestyle choices.
8. Do not borrow, ask for or lend money to clients. Do not talk about your personal financial or other life problems with clients.
9. Do not allow clients to drive your own/work motor vehicle.
10. Do not give advice outside of your skills and expertise – e.g. financial, marital, relationship, medical – refer on to qualified professionals for any support needed.
11. Respect confidentiality and privacy – do not discuss information about your clients with your family or friends. Talk to colleagues and use peer supervision.
12. Consider whether clients have guardians to assist with personal decision making or administrators to assist with financial decisions and consult as necessary.
13. Do not disclose personal information (yours or other workers or other clients) e.g. phone numbers, address, email, marital information.
14. Do not criticize, complain about or discuss issues relating to other workers, staff, or your employer with your clients or their family. Work related issues and complaints need to be dealt with in the workplace.
15. Do not ask for money, gifts, or special favors from your clients.